“The true beauty of music is that it connects people. It carries a message, and we, the musicians, are the messengers. ”
— Roy Ayers
David is a musician and music producer with over 30 years experience in live and recorded music and has practical experience and insights drawn from leading and producing a wide variety of performance-improvement related projects, and from the world of the performing arts.
He started to play the piano when he was 8 and has gained practical experience from music and theatre since then and has recorded and played with several bands in London, Portsmouth and IOW, and theatre work with Solent Theatre Company’s productions in orchestra, acting and stage management.
His early semi-professional career started with The Chosen, a successful band set up with musicians in the South. After winning the Battle of the Bands they released the single ‘The Sound of the Dream’ which made it to the playlist on BBC Radio and Power FM and was promoted by the band at gigs around the UK.
David teamed up with singer Steve Arnott writing and recording several tracks for radio and were interviewed by local DJ Scott Mills for Power FM In-Session feature.
David was offered opportunities for song writing, concerts and recording with popular bands 'The Wayward Sons', and 'Stinkfish'; supporting headliners such as Bad Manners, Then Jericho, Marcella Detroit and two supports with Tony Hadley.
Soundtracks and Production
David enjoys composing soundtrack and sound production for corporate video, film and games and worked with Solent Video Ltd with several music production soundtracks and for radio broadcasters on Express FM Radio and British Forces Broadcasting Service (BFBS).
He enjoys supporting local band productions operating just outside of Bath, Somerset UK. His main instrument is the keyboard but is accomplished on acoustic guitar. But he utilises any other acoustic and software instruments that he can find.
He has experience gained in his career in recorded, live and radio environments in the UK and overseas and calls upon his musician friends to support him with full band sounds with any particular unique sound requirements. His technical skills in music technology is supported by experience in live and studio environments and theatre over the past 25 years, and NCFE Music Technology and Performance Arts qualifications.
- The Kite Collectors: David was delighted to be involved with The Kite Collectors adding organ, backing vocals. He also providing all string and brass arrangements for their second album 'Shockerwick 135' released in Oct 17. This is the second time he has recorded with them - you should check out their albums on the Paisley Records site.
- Funkensteins: In Summer 2017 he was busy working with Bristol based neo funk/rock trio Funkensteins to complete studio mastering of their new album 'Music Is My Medicine' released in February 2018 at Colston Hall, Bristol at the Jelli Records 10th Anniversary. Demand for them is high and the band is currently busy working and continue to excite audiences with both their fully electrified stage show providing plenty of groove and drive, and their well received ‘unplugged’ set.
- Tom Gene: Tom (tgmusicuk.co.uk) plays a wide spectrum of genres, mainly focused on country guitar playing for UK based country acts. He plays soul and funk guitar with Bath based soul R&B artist ‘Clyve‘ and maintains a large portfolio of cover songs for use in the country's top function bands and is a regular dep both independently and through DK management.
- The Box Dwellers: October studio time with new band 'The Box Dwellers' to add keyboards to 5 tracks for the EP released in January 2018.. This is the first release for The Box Dwellers (Paisley Records) featuring: Robby Allen, Luke Smith, Darren Day, David Pinching and Alan May. It is an absolute corker. Available now on CD. at http://www.paisleyrecords.com/the-box-dwellers.html
- Catmandu: If you like film scores and soundtracks then you will be pleased to know that he's just finished adding orchestration and production for the Catmandu track called 'Skyfall' - have a listen here.
He is currently playing his Nord Stage 2 keyboard with the excellent live bands, CoverGirl and Clyve and the Soul City Foundation, The 7080 Band, The Decibelles & CocoLoco. Have a look at events for next performances.
Gary Calamar from GO Music is a music supervisor whose television credits include True Blood, Dexter, House, Six Feet Under,The Man In The High Castle. and the new series, Titans. I was lucky to have chatted to him recently and play him one of my scores called Film Noir.. He said "Some nice score music. I thought it worked really nicely – really nice atmosphere to it. You're obviously a really talented guy. I really loved the atmosphere of the track". I asked him if I should write actual songs or just orchestration. "Do what comes naturally to you and do what your muse tells you to do". He emailed me later to invite me for mimosas in LA.
Chris Mollere, music supervisor for The Vampire Diaries and The Originals. He was kind enough to listen to my track called Cry which he said was 'a beautiful piece of music' and told me to focus on this style of performance for the many libraries out there. He thought that this would be perfect for television and gave me some great advice.
Check out music on this site or sign up to the mailing list.